Vault -(Forum Obsidian) -News -Mese di Luglio 2007

« Older   Newer »
Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 4/7/2007, 18:43 by: Cattaneo R

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 3 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

Here are the latest posts from the Neverwinter Nights 2 Official Forums made by the Obsidian developers working on Neverwinter Nights 2. Please note these are only one part of the thread, and should not be taken out of context. If you find any forum threads we may have missed or you think should be in the highlights

Rob McGinnis - Obsidian Entertainment -
Crash on load after patching to 1.06.973 English
Alright everyone. We have a new round of executable files for testing.
If you would like to take part in this test, please PM me with your e-mail address. If you have already sent me your e-mail address, send it again.
Thanks again for your help and patience.
Rob
More :
Thanks to everyone that volunteered to help with this second set of executables.
e-mails have gone out with a link to the new set of executables.
So far, the replies I have received are sounding good

Roofing Problems
You can also check out this : Click Here

NWN2 Fan Art Contest!
Hopefully I get this right:
Patch, are you asking if you can draw a scene based on a screenshot of the NWN2 game? I would say yes. Tracing the picture could be a little bit in the gray area of plagarism, though.

How about we don’t destroy the community and instead build it?
CITAZIONE
Fair enough, but change does still start with the individual. Again, if anyone sees something they feels is inappropriate, toss us a PM. The faster we know of something, the faster we can deal with it and the less chance there is it will evolve into something ugly. I'm not saying the community should do our job for us, but feel free to give us a little help. A heads up now and then can go a long way to changing what gets posted and what people perceive as being tolerated on the boards. If the community really wants change, then we should work as a community to foster that change.

Let me second this. The NWN2 boards are very busy. It is near impossible for the moderators to read every thread. Also, we don't want to be fascist about these boards, but we do want to enforce a modicum of peace.
You are all given the opportunity to police each other by sending the moderators or me a message, letting us know when there is a problem. Please feel free to use that opportunity.
I applaud the intent of this thread. It doesn't need to devolve into a criticism of how the moderators do their job, though

Wait for a click to continue conversation?
Take a look at the OC.
We basically put in Player nodes that say [Continue] or whatever. Then the player has to click on that to get to the next NPC line.

[for DEVELOPERS] GUI slot consts
At this time, those slots are inaccessible.
Could you give me an example of why you would want with this? Why would you want this?

Neverwinter 2 Community Update
Updated: July 3rd, 2007.
DM Console commands in 1.07
Multi-Select changes
Camera/Control Changes in MoTB
Persistent World Focus
A Little Surprise

Wondering
CITAZIONE
Today, I have a day time job that's perfectly sufficient in the make-things-difficult-for-me department. When I come home after 10 hours of work and a heap of troubleshooting, I want to relax. Something that's purely a hobby is supposed to be simple, fun and rewarding. For many folks like me, the mountain I have to climb before being able to tell my D&D stories with this toolset is simply too high (and too thorny, cold, and full of unfriendly critters). And thus, only a few casual modders climb it.
Or in business terms: the up-front investment is too high and the returns come too late.

I think you are generalizing your opinion as the norm, which may not be accurate.
Personally, when I read your message, to me it is not so much a failing of the toolset that your message gives, but a failing of the people - or the changes to society, I guess.
Philosophy Hat On:
When you say this:
CITAZIONE
Quote: Something that's purely a hobby is supposed to be simple, fun and rewarding

It makes me think about all those people that do model ship building and ship-in-a-bottle building and those fisherman that tie flies as a way to relax. I think of all those people that build Star Wars armor as a hobby or carve stone and paint. Or those people that restore old cars or boats. None of that is simple. All of it is time consuming and the reward for all of that takes months to realize.
So I am thinking that you are the type of person that needs to work through quick projects, and you don't like the kind of slow-progress project that I mentioned above. That's fine. Not every hobby is for every person
More:
CITAZIONE
We who enjoy NWN2 mods have a lot to thank Tragedy for. I tell you, I and other modders would have probably 'abandoned ship' had we not seen, with our own eyes, that a truly quality mod could be built with the toolset. Up until that point, the mods were, though interesting, mostly limited to character levelers or pure hack n slash mods with no journal, or story, or anything else. The fact that it came out early was a double-motivator, as it showed that it didn't take two years to get a good mod out.

I had read some comments on the forums from noobs (I was one at the time) how long a good mod would take - the answers were disheartening. One guy said '20 to 30' months, another one said 'years' and I think the best one was 'you can't do it without a team'.
Luckily, one person said '3 to 6 months', which is what I focused on! ;>

Yes, the hyperbole has been pretty strong. Thankfully there are a lot of people that ignore it all and just keep building away

15 replies since 2/7/2007, 00:01   3598 views