Vault -(Forum Obsidian) -News -Mese di Luglio 2007

« Older   Newer »
Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 2/7/2007, 00:01

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 1 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

Here are the latest posts from the Neverwinter Nights 2 Official Forums made by the Obsidian developers working on Neverwinter Nights 2. Please note these are only one part of the thread, and should not be taken out of context. If you find any forum threads we may have missed or you think should be in the highlights

Rob McGinnis - Obsidian Entertainment -

Wondering
Well, if you want to make a module in the NWN2 toolset that is the equivalent of a module in the NWN1 toolset, I believe it would take you the same amount of time as it would in the NWN1 toolset.

It's when you start adding in the new functionality such as terrain deformation, scaling of objects and custom effects that you start to see a real increase in time

Edited by Cattaneo R - 27/7/2007, 02:27

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 2/7/2007, 23:01

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 2 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

Here are the latest posts from the Neverwinter Nights 2 Official Forums made by the Obsidian developers working on Neverwinter Nights 2. Please note these are only one part of the thread, and should not be taken out of context. If you find any forum threads we may have missed or you think should be in the highlights

CRash on load after patching to 1.06.973 English
The .exe we sent out will expire and be no good in a short while. It is also a different version than what everyone else has so multiplayer will not be possible for you. Also, it runs slower than the other version.

The NWN1 toolset is easier to use than the NWN2 toolset.
think we all take this for granted by now. The NWN1 toolset was very friendly, worked well on a single screen, and gave a lot of easy to use cookie-cutter elements to build with tiles. It also took up less system resources and was (for me) less prone to crash. Likewise, the UI for NWN1 was built for the system - the UI for NWN2 toolset was purchased from a third party and then adapted to the toolset. Similarly, the NWN1 toolset worked great on a single monitor - NWN2's toolset feels extremely cramped and is harder to work with on just one.
CITAZIONE
Quote: Well, if you want to make a module in the NWN2 toolset that is the equivalent of a module in the NWN1 toolset, I believe it would take you the same amount of time as it would in the NWN1 toolset

apparently doesn't feel this is the case. I can't imagine why he does, but I'm sort of curious, to be honest.
Especially since, during NWN2's development, the developers were of the very unshakable belief that it would take much longer for NWN2 builders to get modules up and running, even if they were technically equivalent to NWN1.
Now I can understand if you feel that it is about as easy for you to work with as the NWN1 toolset if you're making an equivalent area, Rob. I don't know how much experience you had with the NWN1 toolset, but you worked in QA and so I imagine you're rather used to dealing with unwieldy and unpolished (and probably broken systems) and are also probably quite good at it.
After all it was your responsibility to find broken things and report them.
CITAZIONE
Nice bit of propaganda there, Pentane.
Next time, you should quote my entire statement, and not just the part that you want to twist around.
My full statement was

CITAZIONE
Well, if you want to make a module in the NWN2 toolset that is the equivalent of a module in the NWN1 toolset, I believe it would take you the same amount of time as it would in the NWN1 toolset.
It's when you start adding in the new functionality such as terrain deformation, scaling of objects and custom effects that you start to see a real increase in time.

So, if you want flat ground with some outcroppings of mesa-like hills, you can do that quite easily and quickly. Paint down a simple road, throw in some random tress. Maybe toss in some random rocks. Done. Really not that difficult. All it takes is the will and the knowledge. Both things were required with the NWN1 toolset as well.
What we have said in the past, is that for someone to use the full power of the NWN2 toolset, and do everything they can to make something great, it will take much longer. Just as to use the NWN1 toolset to its fullest capabilities would take much longer than sixteen clicks.
Anything good takes effort and time.
I find these arguments tiring. It's like saying a calculator watch (remember those?) is better than a scientific calculator because it is easier to use. Or a car is better than a fighter jet because it is easier to use. Or Notepad is better than Word, because it is easier to use.
More: Here is the truth of all of this:
The Neverwinter Nights Communities are divided. People have chosen sides and many of those people will do what they need to do to support their side and "win" over the other side.
Those people that have decided already will not change their minds. As such, conversations such as these are nothing but a waste of everyone's time.
So there's no need to continue this, is there?

Wondering
In many ways I agree with what WebShaman said. I said it previously that the NWN2 community does not seem as focused on helping each other as the NWN1 community does.
But is that because it's true, or is it an affect of the overall mood based on the NWN1 vs NWN2 arguments and the Pro vs. anti-NWN2 arguments going on still?
Regardless, I think that is something for another thread, unless you all feel that it is directly affecting the mod-making scene.
Then again, this is just the general forums, and everything said here should be taken with a grain of salt.

Vista compatible?
The problem is many of the video drivers are still incomplete

nwn2 toolset
It sounds like you are missing some things out of your data folder.
The best way to fix this, unfortunately, is to reinstall.
When you uninstall the game, make sure you are removing the Neverwinter Nights 2 directory under the Atari directory (the install directory).

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 4/7/2007, 18:43

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 3 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

Crash on load after patching to 1.06.973 English
Alright everyone. We have a new round of executable files for testing.
If you would like to take part in this test, please PM me with your e-mail address. If you have already sent me your e-mail address, send it again.
Thanks again for your help and patience.
Rob
More :
Thanks to everyone that volunteered to help with this second set of executables.
e-mails have gone out with a link to the new set of executables.
So far, the replies I have received are sounding good

Roofing Problems
You can also check out this : Click Here

NWN2 Fan Art Contest!
Hopefully I get this right:
Patch, are you asking if you can draw a scene based on a screenshot of the NWN2 game? I would say yes. Tracing the picture could be a little bit in the gray area of plagarism, though.

How about we don’t destroy the community and instead build it?
CITAZIONE
Fair enough, but change does still start with the individual. Again, if anyone sees something they feels is inappropriate, toss us a PM. The faster we know of something, the faster we can deal with it and the less chance there is it will evolve into something ugly. I'm not saying the community should do our job for us, but feel free to give us a little help. A heads up now and then can go a long way to changing what gets posted and what people perceive as being tolerated on the boards. If the community really wants change, then we should work as a community to foster that change.

Let me second this. The NWN2 boards are very busy. It is near impossible for the moderators to read every thread. Also, we don't want to be fascist about these boards, but we do want to enforce a modicum of peace.
You are all given the opportunity to police each other by sending the moderators or me a message, letting us know when there is a problem. Please feel free to use that opportunity.
I applaud the intent of this thread. It doesn't need to devolve into a criticism of how the moderators do their job, though

Wait for a click to continue conversation?
Take a look at the OC.
We basically put in Player nodes that say [Continue] or whatever. Then the player has to click on that to get to the next NPC line.

[for DEVELOPERS] GUI slot consts
At this time, those slots are inaccessible.
Could you give me an example of why you would want with this? Why would you want this?

Neverwinter 2 Community Update
Updated: July 3rd, 2007.
DM Console commands in 1.07
Multi-Select changes
Camera/Control Changes in MoTB
Persistent World Focus
A Little Surprise

Wondering
CITAZIONE
Today, I have a day time job that's perfectly sufficient in the make-things-difficult-for-me department. When I come home after 10 hours of work and a heap of troubleshooting, I want to relax. Something that's purely a hobby is supposed to be simple, fun and rewarding. For many folks like me, the mountain I have to climb before being able to tell my D&D stories with this toolset is simply too high (and too thorny, cold, and full of unfriendly critters). And thus, only a few casual modders climb it.
Or in business terms: the up-front investment is too high and the returns come too late.

I think you are generalizing your opinion as the norm, which may not be accurate.
Personally, when I read your message, to me it is not so much a failing of the toolset that your message gives, but a failing of the people - or the changes to society, I guess.
Philosophy Hat On:
When you say this:
CITAZIONE
Quote: Something that's purely a hobby is supposed to be simple, fun and rewarding

It makes me think about all those people that do model ship building and ship-in-a-bottle building and those fisherman that tie flies as a way to relax. I think of all those people that build Star Wars armor as a hobby or carve stone and paint. Or those people that restore old cars or boats. None of that is simple. All of it is time consuming and the reward for all of that takes months to realize.
So I am thinking that you are the type of person that needs to work through quick projects, and you don't like the kind of slow-progress project that I mentioned above. That's fine. Not every hobby is for every person
More:
CITAZIONE
We who enjoy NWN2 mods have a lot to thank Tragedy for. I tell you, I and other modders would have probably 'abandoned ship' had we not seen, with our own eyes, that a truly quality mod could be built with the toolset. Up until that point, the mods were, though interesting, mostly limited to character levelers or pure hack n slash mods with no journal, or story, or anything else. The fact that it came out early was a double-motivator, as it showed that it didn't take two years to get a good mod out.

I had read some comments on the forums from noobs (I was one at the time) how long a good mod would take - the answers were disheartening. One guy said '20 to 30' months, another one said 'years' and I think the best one was 'you can't do it without a team'.
Luckily, one person said '3 to 6 months', which is what I focused on! ;>

Yes, the hyperbole has been pretty strong. Thankfully there are a lot of people that ignore it all and just keep building away

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 7/7/2007, 15:45

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 6 Luglio 2007-Rispondono alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis - Shane K. DeFreest (MotB)

Shane K. DeFreest - NWN2 Community Manager, Maverick Public Relations -

MotB July Topic - Classes And Races
Everyone already knows that the 4 Genasi will be included in Mask of the Betrayer. But this month we are going to focus our Q&A on new classes and races.
Enjoy!
-Shane

NWN2 Fan Art Contest!
CITAZIONE
Our we allowed to include our character we played through with along with the companion/s or no?

Sure. But the contest is for Companions and NPCs
More :
CITAZIONE
Can we upload WIPs, and then update them, or we have to upload only final works?

Yes, but at the deadline, if you only have the WIP uploaded, it will be that WIP that gets judged.

More 1.06 weirdness?
You might want to register your game, then post this in the OC forum. You might get more help there.

Unselectable Swift and Silent
The prerequisite appears to be the Stealthy feat. Do you meet the requirements?

Rolling List of DM Client Fixes/Features Included in 1.07 as They are Publicly Announced
Very nice Khaveen. You should give a million dollars to Heed.
Geesh!

More :
CITAZIONE
Very nice Khaveen. You should give a million dollars to Heed.
Geesh!

CITAZIONE
Huh? How's that different than #1 in the OP?
Shishkarob!

That doesn't look anything like Item #1

WMP11 vs. NWN2 attempt #2
Just a quick reminder: Do not let this thread turn into a Microsoft bashing thread

NWN2 Patch Version 1.06 Final Released (part 3)
If you are getting "show stopping bug after show stopping bug" at this point then you have some sort of conflict going on.
The vast majority of people are playing with little to no problems now, so you may want to make sure all of your drivers and supporting software are up to date.
The other option is that you may need to reinstall the game as you may have some corruption in your files.
What kind of show stopping issues are you having?
CITAZIONE
This patch ruined my game i think. Ever since updating i went from being able to run the game with only a few glitches to getting like 3 frames per second followed by a crash. Obsidian, seriously, learn to test properly before you release things. You've messed this game up enough times with your poor coding as it is. This is just another screw up to add to the growing pile, I've had this game since release date and i have yet to be able to properly enjoy it, i keep hitting show stopping bug after show stopping bug.
This is getting beyond ridiculous, i feel i have been more than patient with you guys. I am seriously considering never buying another game with the name obsidian on it ever again. This is one of the worst experiences i've ever had with a game.

What is wrong with this game
Last I heard, the video drivers for vista are not fully finished yet.
One thing many people have success with is running the game in XP Compatibility mode for Vista.
I think the confusion about overclocking came in because your specs list your video card as being superclocked.

Developers, answer please!
CITAZIONE
So, what about ftp?
Or maybe any other suggestions about how to fix this problem?

I PMed the instructions to you on the 29th

Helpful Scripts
If you have a script that you feel would be helpful to the community at large, and would like to share it with the community, post it here.

More:
I don't think it was meant as an insult. It seemed to be a joke to me.
Let's relax a bit
More :
No worries. This is the problem inherent with text communications. Even with smilies, things can be read the wrong way. You read something and put the emphasis or emotion in the wrong place.

CITAZIONE
I don't think it was meant as an insult. It seemed to be a joke to me.

Let's relax a bit.
You think so? OK, then. I should probably say I am sorry. Seems I have just experienced sense of humor failure. Happens to everybody from time to time...
So I will follow your advice and take a break for the night

Rolling List of DM Client Fixes/Features Included in 1.07 as They are Publicly Announced
I have seen a mod on the vault that allows you to create macros of a sort. You might do a search there and see if that will help, for the time being.

CRash on load after patching to 1.06.973 English
Hot fix is currently in QA. Hopefully we should have something soon. It will be made available through the online updater process

CITAZIONE
Rob,

I had posted to you some time ago about an error when erasing grass. I eventually switched back to XP and I am no longer getting that error. In fact it seems to be running well at full capacity totally maxed out. I did wake up today to find that the toolset now loads without the toolbar at the top. All of the ribbons are on the side and the bottom but nothing up top except the toolset logo. If I click the logo it closes. No file, no view, no nothing. Like when you hit F11 in explorer. Any ideas? I did not see any issues like this in the data base. Thanks

This is off topic for this thread.

There is a sticky in the toolset forums that will help you through the missing menu bar issue

Wondering
I think this discussion is deteriorating and is not doing anyone good any more. It has gone away from its original intent.

Fed up with losing my work
Werespider-

Make sure you are patched up fully. That will help with this issue quite a bit.

Also, one of the things known to cause this issue is to have too many different varieties of trees (more than 5) and too many different seeds for the trees in the area

Edited by Cattaneo R - 8/7/2007, 12:19

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 8/7/2007, 11:22

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 7 Luglio 2007-Rispondono alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

We had a couple issues with the hotfix so, obviously, it has been delayed a bit. Part of the reason it is difficult is that the hotfix has to be installed by everyone, not just the people having a problem.
As soon as it's ready we'll get it out there.
Once again, sorry for the inconvenience

NWN2 Patch Version 1.06 Final Released (part 3)
CITAZIONE
Nate and All,
The Ray of Emfeeblement bug is still there...at least for my Pale Master Wizard. I have a feeling it is related to the Pale Master character class for some reason.

CITAZIONE
Nope, it's result of coder (Ryan Young) trying to fix something in that spell, that broke it compeltly when patch 1.05 came out. Anti-stacking RemoveEffectsFromSpell call was put after applying damage, making ray never doing anything.

This will probably need to become a new topic in itself, but:

The script I have says this: View Post/Code in separate window
Which shows that it removes any previous instances of the spell's effects THEN applies the new effects. Does your script say something else, rpgplayer?

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 17/7/2007, 02:23

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 16 Luglio 2007-Rispondono alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis -J.E. Sawyer

THAT was Act One?? Holy smokes, how jam-packed is this game!? :D
Heh. Glad you liked it.
This thread is a great example of how everyone views the game differently

Could we get warforged as playable
Warforged is one of the races of the Eberron campaign setting.
This being the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, I doubt it will happen. As such, this becomes a moot point

Yourself in NWN2
If only you could have asked me this 15 years ago

Prestige Class Focus: Harper Agent
Well, we're getting down to the end. This is the next to last Prestige class we will talk about.
Do you play a Harper Agent? Why or why not?
Is it overpowered? Is it underpowered?
Tell us about your favorite Harper Agent Character and their experiences.

Projects looking for Builders
Please post here if you have a project and are looking for builders, designers, custom content artists, etc.
Please remember to post again if you fill a position

Announcement: ZORK I for Neverwinter Nights 2
You definitely need to do this.
I used to play Zork on my C64 for hours and hours.

Custom class can't level up
You might want to check with the PRC people. I talked to them a while ago (when 1.06 came out) and I was told it was working now.
What is the error you are getting? Are you trying to play single player, multiplayer hosted with the game, or multiplayer hosted with the dedicated server?

Are you looking for a project to work on or willing to help?
Please post your availability here :
Click Here
More: Please post your availability here :
Click Here

Prestige classes and their effect upon the NWN2 world
CITAZIONE
Most NWN PWs are not available for DL - however, Thain is an exception - www.thain.org

The menu selection The Module to DL it.

Take a look, it is pretty interesting (and is a great Builder's guide, as well - demonstrating how to build great areas with little selection).

The scripting is incredible, and the storyline is very complex and well done. You will find that most of the factions do react to different creatures, races, etc.

I know another PW that does this - The Legacy of Netheril http://www.lon.nwnforums.com/index.php

It does not offer the PW for DL, however.

Heh. PWs don't count because they evolve over years and years. A little is added at a time. Even at release, the server is incomplete. The server changes.
We were talking modules.

More:
Yes, NWN2 was built over time. But much more was being done than building the campaign. But that's kind of beside the point, right?
The point is that people were asking for "offline" modules that would include many different gameplay experiences based on your character's details.
In a persistent world, your gameplay changes for many different reasons: a DM, other players acting as enemies and so forth and a world that changes over time. A PW has a much longer development cycle than a standard offline module. A MP session is one thing, a PW is something else entirely.

PWs also tend to have huge teams either building, maintaining or writing the game as you go. It is interactive by nature and thus something altogether different.
Your standard module, on the other hand, is produced and released and, aside from a couple bug fixes, is pretty much forgotten.
I stand by my word that I have not seen a module that provides the indepth gameplay that has been asked for in this thread. I would like to see it. But I think it is more complicated and time consuming than people are willing to do.

J.E. Sawyer - NWN2 Lead Designer, Obsidian Entertainment -

E3 MotB impressions at GameSpot
CITAZIONE
Sorry, girls with no hair are just not attractive, it's just wierd. You find that sexy, then good for you.

Click Here
Argument destroyed.
Also Safiya is cool

More :It is well-established that nerds love Natalie Portman. Ergo, they must love bald Natalie Portman and the inclusion of bald romance options in a D&D game is appropriate

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 17/7/2007, 23:54

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 17 Luglio 2007-Rispondono alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis - Nathaniel Chapman - J.E. Sawyer - Jeff Husges

Here are the latest posts from the Neverwinter Nights 2 Official Forums made by the Obsidian developers working on Neverwinter Nights 2. Please note these are only one part of the thread, and should not be taken out of context. If you find any forum threads we may have missed or you think should be in the highlights, send me an email.

Prestige classes and their effect upon the NWN2 world
CITAZIONE
personally, i would be happy with conversation paths that didn't make my character look like, a goody two shoe paladin/nice if somewhat reluctant hero/psychopath.

my character is evil neutral elven wizard, he is in it for himself, not to help others, he will fight and ultimately defeat (or maybe join forces with) the KoS because it is necessary (KoS is a threat, take care of it before it takes care of you style of thing), and i'd just like conversatiob paths that reflect his intellect, forward thinking nature (ie. he won't go into rampages or sacrifice innocents in public) and most of all, his talent to sway the crowd (maxed social skills, cross class, but that's how it goes).

quests don't really need to change, as long as my motivation to do them can be changed to suite my alignment (altough some quests for good or evil only would be nice).

In the end, I agree with the desire to have vast options for dialog and I even agree with the desire to have different gameplay depending on your character choices. I think that would be great. It would be a challenge to implement since it is basically multiplying the content, but things like that add so much to a game. There are some things that work much better in PnP, for example.
Like your alignment-based dialog choices. In all my eons of D&D gaming, the only single truth I have seen is that everyone interprets alignment differently. How you view Neutral Evil is very different from how someone else interprets NE.
It just always comes back to the fact that you can't please everyone in video game development. For every view, there is an opponent

NWN2 Fan Art Contest!
Both are okay.

Giving money to the keep
Both are okay

Giving money to the keep
You need to register your CD key and then post this in the Official Campaign forum

What do you like on neverwinter nights 2 online
CITAZIONE
ehh sry
i m young only 12 years and i come from holland i can talk good english sry about that....

No worries Powertjogo. Even I have trouble with English
The important thing is to enjoy the game and have fun with the community.

Nathaniel Chapman - Assistant Producer, Obsidian Entertainment -
MotB at gametrailers.com
CITAZIONE
he environments look absolutely wonderful, even with the awful video quality. I especially like the area wide environmental affects. Those are just great. And I think the genasai looked very good as well. I like the earth, fire, and air. All three look nice. So those were my high points.
For low points, the combat in the winter area looked like a lot of filler without much in the way of tactics. It actually reminded me of a PW with a big area to run around in and just kill mobs. I'm hoping that isn't representative of much of the game. I know people griped about linearity, but I prefer combat that leads me down a path in a sp campaign and is structured to lead up to high points and tough battles in a sensible way. Of course, that's just one man's opinion of course. Otherwise, I also think the movement of the hags (or trolls, hard to tell from the video) just looked silly. Sorry, I don't mean to come off as rude, but it just looks really bad. The models liked nice though.

I was specifically avoiding the quests in that area, but that is actually one of the most content rich areas in the game.
The fel trolls are still being tweaked - they've got some issues with their run distance that need to be fixed, as you can see.

J.E. Sawyer - NWN2 Lead Designer, Obsidian Entertainment -
MotB at gametrailers.com
CITAZIONE
I'm hoping there will be strong roleplaying in the game

There is. It's very good, IMO

Jeff Husges - NWN2 Designer, Obsidian Entertainment -
New voicesets and music?
There is lots of new music, and none of it has been heard before (which means nothing was reused from previous games).
More : Some new PC soundsets, as well, plus some NPC soundsets to fill in the gaps in the toolset - female gnome, female dwarf, etc.

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 19/7/2007, 02:24

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 18 Luglio 2007-Rispondono alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis - George Ziets

Rob McGinnis - Obsidian Entertainment

Files that don't work in haks
Ok, these issues have been added to our database

Dwarves of Unusual Size
Hello everyone...
When we changed the 2da files for characters a while ago, we ended up with some Over-sized Dwarf corpses in the campaign.
If you spot any of these enormous dwarf (or gnome) corpses anywhere, please post here and let me know what area you are in when you find them.
Thanks.

I noticed horses in "skill_mounted.2da" So....
Horses are in the expansion, though not for riding.
If you would like to learn how difficult it is to do a mount system, please see DLA's forums or talk to the Bioware guys. There's a reason Horses haven't been put in NWN1 all this time.
Perhaps in the future.
More :
Actually, episode 30 of the NWN2 Podcast has a great interview with DLA's BGPHughes where he talks about the difficulty of mounts
You should give it a listen : http://neverwinternightspodcast.com/?p=70

Through the Looking Glass Screen Shots
Unfortunately, this is off topic for NWN2 and must be closed down

HOT FIX FOR 1.06 STARTUP CRASH AVAILABLE
Those of you still having issues, please run MSinfo32 from your Run... command on the start menu. Save the file, then send me a PM and I will send you an e-mail address to send this info to.

George Ziets - NWN2 Designer, Obsidian Entertainment -
Of course, Gann may not actually be a Barbarian... :D

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 20/7/2007, 09:34

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 19 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

CITAZIONE
what DO the Earth Genasi have besides the rock look? Like puffs of dust floating around them Pig Pen from Peanuts style?

LOL

Area Transition between servers possible ?
CITAZIONE
serverportals are not working in NWN2, it's scheduled for patch 1.08

It is something we would like to do but, as always, depends on time. No guarantees for 1.08.

Looking for a PW Server
CITAZIONE
Having problems! For some reason even though I have downloaded the module from the site and put it in documents/NWN2/pwc as instructed, your server is grayed out in the list and I cant join it.
This is probably a noob question but bear with me, I havent played NWN2 online yet

Hi there, Legal..
When a server is grayed out on the list, it means you have a different game version than the server does.
You can see the server version by checking the server details in the gamespy browser.

Trigger for transition crashes
Good catch on this. I'll get this info to Rich Taylor.
One other thing we are hearing about is that using WASD is possibly causing issues again. Players using WASD apparently cause the server to work overtime and that is causing some transition crashes as well. Can anyone confirm this?
More :Also, if anyone has any network traces/diagnostics of the packet flooding, that may help as well. Contact me if you do

I noticed horses in "skill_mounted.2da" So....
Not to mention the number of other features and content that the effort we put into horses cost NWN2.
More : Well, the question with this issue has been asked and answered. Locking it down since the conversation is moot

Invisibility needs to get fixed!!
Hey guys,
I announced it a awhile ago: Stealth and Invisibility is fixed in 1.07.
More :
CITAZIONE
me goes to read more about 1.07
I thought it was all just DM console commands :P

1.07s ETA
1.07 will be released when it's done

The community update will be postponed until Friday (tomorrow) this week. There is a certain bit of news I want to include so I am waiting on that ;)

Area Transition between servers possible ?
CITAZIONE
The Dynamic PW Federation groans a collective ouch.

If you guys can give me a list of PWs that are waiting on this feature, that would help a lot. So far, I know of 1.

I discovered something!
This thread seems to be flame bait. I will leave it for a moment to see where it goes.

OP: You may want to clarify your position a bit more.
That's our cover story. Shhhhh

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 23/7/2007, 08:51

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 20 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

PW Client Crashes
I think it was in the final 1.06

Updated July 20th

Mod Translation
Granny Update
New Toolset Feature
MoTB Screenie
PW Spotlight
Enjoy the Blog

Saved Games - A quick question please
in MyDocuments\Neverwinter Nights 2\ there is a folder named "Saves". You can put the files in there and it should work fine

CITAZIONE
Meh. After that delay I thought there was something big coming.. Oh well, nice update, nice screenie. Thanks Rob!

I think it all depends on your point of view

Your Questions
CITAZIONE
Hi,
Where is this "Answers to your questions" - thread that should be in the stickies. Rob mentioned it in the opening post of this thread. Can't find it!
Beside that, I would love to get an answer to the question I posted earlier (see above).
Thanks
XiDragon

Hiya XiDragon, I gave an answer in reply to your question in the Blog.
Basically, the listbox UI functions are not complete yet, as I understand it, but will further be implemented in an upcoming patch

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 21 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

Spring Attack negates Mobility?
On page 98 of the actual Player's Handbook, it describes the mobility feat as only giving the bonus when moving into or out of threat range.
This might be how it is implemented in NWN2 and the description is faulty. Looking into this

Low Magic server: What do they mean to you?
Low magic to me means that all forms of magic are rare, from the arcane casters to divine abilities to items.
If I were to create a PW (RP, of course), it would be low magic. That means that wizards could be played, but should require admin approval. I might create a new class for clergy that would reduce their spell lists and force the cleric class to be admin approved as well. Magic items would be rare and thus weapons would be limited to perhaps +1 on to hit and damage, only based on quality, not magic. Other class adjustments would be made as well.
What this would do is make magic more important to the world. Being an RP server, I would then see magic as awe inspiring.
Just my take and just a quick description, not a fully formed concept

Vote P for Playerlist 2007!
Why do I have the feeling this thread is some sort of ploy by the fine folks at Sesame Street?
Noted. I agree. Can't promise when, but it should be an easy fix.

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 22 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Jeff Husges

Jeff Husges - NWN2 Designer, Obsidian Entertainment -

CITAZIONE
I just watched Nathaniel's presentation at Gamespot and wonder why, for example, fire genasi don't have flaming hair in character creation

They do now. Coding was still in progress at the time

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 24/7/2007, 08:19

23 Luglio

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 23 Luglio 2007-Rispondono alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis - George Ziets

NWN2 News PW Spotlight
Yep. It seems I am out of PWs to spotlight.

Techniques to reduce Transition Crashes
Players using WASD also seems to cause some issues. Unfortunately, the NWN engine works differently with WASD than with point-and-click.
Avoiding the use of WASD seems to help tremendously.

More:
CITAZIONE
Thanks for the help here, and special thanks to Rob for taking the time visit DC SoH server and impart his wisdom to us. It is not only encouraging for our staff and players, but also reflects greatly on Obsidian.
Thanks again, good luck with all that you have planned!

Ha! No worries. The server looks great.
Incidentally, I asked their server to set up a network sniffer to catch some of the packet flooding. In true software troubleshooting fashion, I was told their server performance improved dramatically when they did. Go figure.
More :
CITAZIONE
Ha! No worries. The server looks great.
Incidentally, I asked their server to set up a network sniffer to catch some of the packet flooding. In true software troubleshooting fashion, I was told their server performance improved dramatically when they did. Go figure.

CITAZIONE
I'd call it a classic example of Murphy's Law in troubleshooting. Once you try to track a problem, it starts hiding pretty well. After that one long-run session, we went back to normal operation

Ha! Well, I guess that's good in this instance

HOT FIX FOR 1.06 STARTUP CRASH AVAILABLE
Still looking guys.
Just to make sure, you have tried the troubleshooting steps talked about in this thread Click HereEspecially the registry cleaning instructions from SecuRom

Why don't we ever have new monsters/races?
Actually, modellers can be working on their creatures and animations already, that way they are ready to go when the Granny plugin is released

Corrupted save game
You might want to register your game and post this in the Tech Support forum

questions i havent seen covered yet
2. Yes. We've added a number of new heads that will be available for NPCs, as well as PCs.
3. Yup, there are some new unique objects and weapons, as well as some new base armor suits

Will Shandra be back in the expansion?
I can confirm that Tarmas is still alive, and some players may see him (very briefly) in MotB.

If you were evil in the OC how did you get to Rashermen?
The expansion assumes the ending where the player defeats the KoS (and does not join him). We do not assume that the PC is good, of course - just that s/he chose to kill the KoS, instead of joining with him.

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 25/7/2007, 09:58

24 Luglio

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 24 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

Several little problems with the toolset...
A screenshot would help a lot.
For the bridges...
When you place a bridge, both ends need to be touching the ground. You don't need to change the bridge to be walkable or anything. Just make sure the ground under and around the bridge is walkable, then bake the area. The bridge will then become walkable and the ground underneath the bridge will be unwalkable.
The walkmesh works like a blanket that covers the whole area. You cannot have a walkable area on top of another walkable area.

Problems with Bake
Hi Adrieann.
When you get a chance, contact me via PM on this site. I will give you instructions to send me your area and we will take a look at it.
A lot of times, what I have seen with this issue in the past, it usually ends up being the use of more than 5 different tree types and more than 4 different seeds for trees.
Check to make sure you don't have too many different types of trees.

updated to version 1.06; the game is buggier than ever
You will have better luck posting this in the Tech Support forum.
Also, make sure you don't have anything in your overrides directory.

nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewpost.html?topic=576692&post=5165416&forum=116&highlight=
You can also try updating your video card drivers. A lot of times, computers from manufacturers don't have the latest drivers installed.

Why don't we ever have new monsters/races?
I can't give you all the answers right now, unfortunately.
But, in general, you can make models and do the rigging and skeletons in 3dsMax. You can make placeables already, you don't have to wait for Granny to do that

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 26/7/2007, 10:28

25 Luglio

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 25 Luglio 2007-Rispondono alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis - Jeff Husges - Charles Mead

Satisfied With NWN2?
I suggest doing a search of the forums. This is about the 10th thread like this in four weeks

Gann (spoilers, I think)
I wish I could shed some light on this for you, but I think that will ruin some of the surprise surrounding this character

Jeff Husges - NWN2 Designer, Obsidian Entertainment

Voice actors?
Some voices may be familiar. Several of the actors do a lot of work for shows on the Cartoon Network.

Charles Mead - NWN2 Lead Scripter, Obsidian Entertainment -
Effects from potions dont end
Excellent catch. Added the fix and credited to you

Quest idea and need help with the scripting
There's also a prefix for tag-based script that is set by default to "i_".

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 27/7/2007, 10:22

26 Luglio

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 25 Luglio 2007-Rispondono alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis - George Ziets

Link al Topic Techniques to reduce Transition Crashes
CITAZIONE
Is there a topic on nwn2server process crashes/freezing? I'd like to post some information on what I've found on the 100% cpu issue for the nwn2server process

Risponde Rob Mc Ginnis
Feel free to start one. Your findings so far are pretty interesting

Link al Topic Minsc and Boo
Risponde George Ziets
The NWN2 campaign takes place in the early to mid 1370s, by the Forgotten Realms calendar.

In Forgotten Realms lore, the Time of Troubles was in 1358... I'm not entirely sure when the BG series was intended to take place, but if we assume that the main PC had to be at least 16 at its start, that would suggest the year 1374 or so.

That's the long way of saying that Minsc is definitely alive during the events of NWN2. :)

However, he is adventuring in Baldur's Gate and Amn during this period, so you will not meet him in the expansion.
More :
Risponde George Ziets
Dates are admittedly a little fuzzy in our campaign. I don't like to assume much later than the mid-1370's, though, as we don't know what exactly WotC has planned for the world in the future.

For example, if we go by some of the item descriptions in NWN2, then the Wailing Death was in 1373. Give 2 or 3 years in between, and we're in 1375 or 1376 - still the mid 70s, and not too far out from WotC's current books.

Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 31/7/2007, 14:30

30 Luglio

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 25 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

Link al Topic Neverwinter 2 Community Update
Update should be coming soon. I was out at ComiCon last week and, unfortunately, didn't have computer access.

Prestige Class Focus: Dwarven Defender
Well, we have finally come to the last class to discuss (for now): the Dwarven Defender.

Why do you enjoy playing a Dwarven Defender? What do you like about the class? What do you hate about the class? How is the class over- or under-powered?

15 replies since 2/7/2007, 00:01   3592 views