Vault -(Forum Obsidian) -News -Mese di Luglio 2007

« Older   Newer »
Cattaneo R
view post Posted on 2/7/2007, 23:01 by: Cattaneo R

Front Page Vault - Forum Obsidian- 2 Luglio 2007-Risponde alle domande Rob Mc Ginnis

Here are the latest posts from the Neverwinter Nights 2 Official Forums made by the Obsidian developers working on Neverwinter Nights 2. Please note these are only one part of the thread, and should not be taken out of context. If you find any forum threads we may have missed or you think should be in the highlights

Rob McGinnis - Obsidian Entertainment -

CRash on load after patching to 1.06.973 English
The .exe we sent out will expire and be no good in a short while. It is also a different version than what everyone else has so multiplayer will not be possible for you. Also, it runs slower than the other version.

The NWN1 toolset is easier to use than the NWN2 toolset.
think we all take this for granted by now. The NWN1 toolset was very friendly, worked well on a single screen, and gave a lot of easy to use cookie-cutter elements to build with tiles. It also took up less system resources and was (for me) less prone to crash. Likewise, the UI for NWN1 was built for the system - the UI for NWN2 toolset was purchased from a third party and then adapted to the toolset. Similarly, the NWN1 toolset worked great on a single monitor - NWN2's toolset feels extremely cramped and is harder to work with on just one.
CITAZIONE
Quote: Well, if you want to make a module in the NWN2 toolset that is the equivalent of a module in the NWN1 toolset, I believe it would take you the same amount of time as it would in the NWN1 toolset

apparently doesn't feel this is the case. I can't imagine why he does, but I'm sort of curious, to be honest.
Especially since, during NWN2's development, the developers were of the very unshakable belief that it would take much longer for NWN2 builders to get modules up and running, even if they were technically equivalent to NWN1.
Now I can understand if you feel that it is about as easy for you to work with as the NWN1 toolset if you're making an equivalent area, Rob. I don't know how much experience you had with the NWN1 toolset, but you worked in QA and so I imagine you're rather used to dealing with unwieldy and unpolished (and probably broken systems) and are also probably quite good at it.
After all it was your responsibility to find broken things and report them.
CITAZIONE
Nice bit of propaganda there, Pentane.
Next time, you should quote my entire statement, and not just the part that you want to twist around.
My full statement was

CITAZIONE
Well, if you want to make a module in the NWN2 toolset that is the equivalent of a module in the NWN1 toolset, I believe it would take you the same amount of time as it would in the NWN1 toolset.
It's when you start adding in the new functionality such as terrain deformation, scaling of objects and custom effects that you start to see a real increase in time.

So, if you want flat ground with some outcroppings of mesa-like hills, you can do that quite easily and quickly. Paint down a simple road, throw in some random tress. Maybe toss in some random rocks. Done. Really not that difficult. All it takes is the will and the knowledge. Both things were required with the NWN1 toolset as well.
What we have said in the past, is that for someone to use the full power of the NWN2 toolset, and do everything they can to make something great, it will take much longer. Just as to use the NWN1 toolset to its fullest capabilities would take much longer than sixteen clicks.
Anything good takes effort and time.
I find these arguments tiring. It's like saying a calculator watch (remember those?) is better than a scientific calculator because it is easier to use. Or a car is better than a fighter jet because it is easier to use. Or Notepad is better than Word, because it is easier to use.
More: Here is the truth of all of this:
The Neverwinter Nights Communities are divided. People have chosen sides and many of those people will do what they need to do to support their side and "win" over the other side.
Those people that have decided already will not change their minds. As such, conversations such as these are nothing but a waste of everyone's time.
So there's no need to continue this, is there?

Wondering
In many ways I agree with what WebShaman said. I said it previously that the NWN2 community does not seem as focused on helping each other as the NWN1 community does.
But is that because it's true, or is it an affect of the overall mood based on the NWN1 vs NWN2 arguments and the Pro vs. anti-NWN2 arguments going on still?
Regardless, I think that is something for another thread, unless you all feel that it is directly affecting the mod-making scene.
Then again, this is just the general forums, and everything said here should be taken with a grain of salt.

Vista compatible?
The problem is many of the video drivers are still incomplete

nwn2 toolset
It sounds like you are missing some things out of your data folder.
The best way to fix this, unfortunately, is to reinstall.
When you uninstall the game, make sure you are removing the Neverwinter Nights 2 directory under the Atari directory (the install directory).

15 replies since 2/7/2007, 00:01   3598 views